You could say I’ve been doing some field research: intensively listening to conversations amongst my female friends – processing and analysing for trends. While that may sound clinical, I’ve found that I am frustrated with common problems that we constantly talk about but never make behavioural alterations to fix. I came up with a list and have included it below. I cannot say that I am not a culprit of some of the things on there – I think we all are – men and women alike, but self-awareness always helps. So here goes:
- Start believing in yourself – your skills, abilities, etc. (say no to ‘Imposter Syndrome‘)!
- Stop buying stuff you don’t need – remove the social and financial conditioning that more stuff will make your existence better – it won’t.
- Stop trying to be a clone – embrace diversity of interests, aesthetics, opinions, desires, etc.
- Stop evaluating worth on appearance – you are much more than your physical entity.
- Stop talking about men all the time and start talking to them.
- Don’t be afraid of ‘hard’ subject matter – study or explore the worlds of engineering, science, technology, etc.
- Start speaking your mind – let go of the fear of what others will think – be outspoken!
- Start focusing on your goals – what do you want?
- Don’t wait for anything or anyone to make your life better – do it yourself.
- Start supporting other women – there are no threats – only opportunities for advancement…
- Exercise – take up a competitive sport – it’s never too late to start/resume.
- Say no to discomfort – personally, I feel high heels are akin to Chinese foot binding!
- Embrace ageing – embrace the signs of wisdom.
- Stop devoting time and energy to things that don’t matter.
- Don’t waste time on anyone who doesn’t respect you.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want or need.
I love men and I love women, but I grow tired of these self-fulfilling prophecies and pseudo social norms that we place on women. If we can make small changes from within, the bigger picture will follow.
What else would you add to the list?